Vocab & Idioms

Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor volition go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or 2 to make sure you know how to employ the discussion/expression properly.

Vocabulary/ Expressions

All-inclusive (adj) – your nutrient, drinks, and hotel room are all included in the price
Sightseeing (north) – the activity of visiting places of interest in a particular location
Resort (n) – a identify where people tin can become on vacations to relax or for an activity they enjoy
Self-guided tour (n) – when you lot go visit a identify of interest without an expert
Guided tour (n) – an organized group shown around a place of interest by an practiced
Tour Guide (n) – an expert who takes tourists, ordinarily in a grouping, to a identify of interest
Long weekend (n) – an extended weekend including Friday and/or Monday
Get away (phrasal verb) – go on vacation/holiday or a short intermission away from habitation
Prepare off (phrasal verb) – offset a journey or trip
Travel low-cal (idiom) – to bring a few things with you on a trip

Role 1 Questions

Here are possible questions that might come upwards during the examination. Become over them with your tutor.

Topic

  • Why are vacations/holidays important to y'all?
  • Where do you like to continue vacation/holiday?
  • What practise yous usually do on holiday/holiday?
  • What practise you like to do when you lot have a 24-hour interval off from piece of work?

Part two&3 Questions

Here are possible questions that might come upward during the examination. Go over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Office 2 Questions

  • Describe a tourist attraction you in one case visited. You should say:
    • When you visited it
    • Where is it situated
    • Who you lot went with
    • and say what you liked most about it.

Role 3 Questions

  • Is it ameliorate to travel alone or with a bout group?
  • What makes a tourist attraction pop?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of going on a vacation/holiday during depression flavor?

Sample B

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a recent holiday/holiday you went on. You lot should say:
    • where you went
    • when yous went there
    • who was with you lot
    • and explain why you chose that particular place for a vacation/holiday.

Part three Questions

  • What are some of the benefits of going abroad on a vacation/holiday?
  • Why is it not good for holidays to be too long?
  • Why do some people like going to big cities on vacation/vacation?

Sample C

Part two Questions

  • Describe a holiday/holiday you lot want to go along in the hereafter. Yous should say:
    • where you want to go
    • when you want to go
    • who you want to go with
    • and explain why you want to get on this vacation/vacation.

Part 3 Questions

  • Why practise some people prefer to travel inside their ain country and non abroad?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of booking vacations/holidays online?
  • Do you lot think people are prepared for emergencies when they get on holiday/holiday?

Sample Answers

Here are some sample answers. Go over them with your tutor.

Part one Questions

  • Why are vacations/holidays important to you?
    • They are the times that I tin can get abroad from the stress of my work and re-energize myself. In that location'south nothing like a week off from my hectic work schedule to practice anything I want to do. I but wish I had more vacation time.
  • Where practice you similar to go on vacation/holiday?
    • Well, I similar to travel to various destinations. One, in detail, is the mountains nigh three hours n of my hometown. It'southward a place where I can take in the cute landscapes and the tranquility of nature and silence.
  • What practice you unremarkably do on holiday/holiday?
    • If I have a long weekend, I like to bulldoze to the shore where I  walk the beach in the early on mornings and evenings to find seashells. If it'due south a longer holiday, I prefer to wing to a far away destination and become sightseeing and learn about other cultures.
  • What exercise you like to do when you have a day off from piece of work?
    • Sometimes I like to simply stay at home and relax. Other times I prefer to go out with my friends for lunch or dinner and grab upwardly.

Function ii&3 Answers

Hither are some sample answers. Go over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Office 2 Questions

  • Depict a tourist attraction yous in one case visited. You should say:
    • when you visited information technology
    • where is information technology situated
    • who you went with
    • and say what y'all liked most nearly it.

Merely the other day, I was on holiday in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia for a long weekend. I had the opportunity to see the purple Twin Towers or Petronas Towers. They are two identical skyscrapers side past side in the Kuala Lumpur Urban center Middle.

I needed to get out Thailand to renew my tourist visa, and then my Thai girlfriend and I decided to become to Kuala Lumpur. We bought a travel package from AirAsiaGo, which is an online travel website. The packet consisted of airfare and hotel accommodations. I wish I had a pick for an all inclusive parcel, simply the hotel doesn't offering that type of package.

The dark before our flying we packed our bags. She had a large check in bag and I had a small carry on because I travel light.

After a restless nighttime's slumber, the day finally arrived for united states to get out. I was elated considering I needed some R&R, or in words residue and relaxation, after working and then much the prior month.

When we arrived in Kuala Lumpur, nosotros headed straight to our hotel to bank check in. Later we checked in, we took the subway to the location of the Twin Towers. Oh, what a sight to see when we first caught a glimpse of the towering skyscrapers! I was amazed at the architecture and pure elegance in front of me.

Nosotros walked effectually the premises taking in the stunning view of the buildings. The surrounding area was full of other tourists and of course pesky locals who were trying to sell souvenirs and have photos of people with the towers for a high price. Anywhere I go on vacation I hate these annoying people.

Overall, the time we spent at the Twin Towers was enjoyable and the sight of the gigantic buildings was highly impressionable. I heard at night the towers are lit upwardly and the view is spectacular. I would recommend this place to all travelers even though it's a tourist trap.


Role 3 Questions

  • Is it better to travel solitary or with a tour group?
    • Everybody is unlike and they have their own preferences. As far as I'm concerned, either way, it has its pros and cons and one fashion is not ameliorate than the other. Some people say that traveling alone is unsafe and that they would never do it. I, on the other hand, disagree considering traveling in a small or big group can be dangerous too. Aye, I hold information technology can exist more dangerous traveling solo sometimes, but 1 has to take precautions like not walking dark streets alone at nighttime, hitching a ride with a stranger, or staying in high-risk neighborhoods. The same goes when traveling in a larger grouping.
  • What makes a tourist allure popular?
    • I never considered this question before. I need some time to recall a lilliputian……umm. I believe it has to do with what the identify offers. For example, take Machu Picchu in Peru. Thousands of people all over the world travel at that place because of its historical background of beingness the "Lost Urban center of the Incas". In addition, information technology has breathtaking views and ancient ruins. Now take the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia. Thousands of people pilgrimage in that location every year for religious reasons. I'm sure at that place are other motives that make a place a tourist trap, merely these were the only ones I could call back of.
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of going on a vacation/vacation during low season?
    • Correct off the bat, It'south definitely advantageous to become on holiday during the non-peak flavor because the costs for plane tickets, accommodations, and tour packages are less expensive. Nonetheless, the weather may wreck havoc on your travel plans. I remember going to the beach one year during the low season and it rained almost every day. Some other downside is that the local businesses might not be operating due to a lot fewer vacationers. Speaking for myself, I prefer to go along vacation during low season to avoid the crowds and high prices. I can detect activities to do even when businesses are closed for the flavour.

Sample B

Function two Questions

  • Draw a recent vacation/holiday you went on. Y'all should say:
    • where you went
    • when you went there
    • who was with you
    • and explicate why you chose that particular place for a holiday/holiday.

I'm going to talk about a four-mean solar day group tour I took with my Thai girlfriend and approximately 20 of her co-workers and family unit to Taipei Taiwan ii months ago.

First of all, I'm non a big fan of large group trips because you are not costless to do what you want. Y'all have to stick to the itinerary and do what is pre-planned with the bout guide. Even though it was a grouping trip, I all the same had a skilful fourth dimension and saw another land I never been to.

During the tour, we traveled around Taiwan on a bout bus and visited several tourist destinations similar Moon Lake, Chiang Kai-shek Memorial, and Taipei 101. There were some other places such as a market and Buddhist temple, but I don't remember the names. Before I forget to tell you, Taipei 101 is the tallest skyscraper in Taiwan.

Out of all the places nosotros visited, Moon Lake was the all-time because the lake view is surprisingly beautiful and the landscape with the rolling mountains in the groundwork is mesmerizing. Additionally, nosotros took a boat ride to the other side of the lake to climb a long set of stairs to an sometime temple.

The highlight of the trip was a gamble to see up with an online English student of mine. We met at a Starbucks Cafe and spent an hour talking and learning more about each other face to face up. What an amazing feeling to see ane of your online students in person, peculiarly when you lot are from different ends of the world.

If I have the chance to get back to Taiwan, I volition in a heartbeat. Nonetheless, the next time will be a vacation that I program and go on by myself or with my girlfriend. This fashion I tin exercise what I want and not have to worry about adhering to the strict grouping tour itinerary.


Part 3 Questions

  • What are some of the benefits of going abroad on a vacation/holiday?
    • Get-go and foremost, it's the all-time way to relieve stress from work. I can't think of a better way to lower piece of work-related stress. Side by side, information technology helps to get away from the rat race of your daily routine. I demand a change of scenery sometimes. Lastly, scientific research has proven that rest and relaxation assistance lower heart disease, nervous breakdowns, and high blood pressure.
  • Why is it not good for holidays to be too long?
    • The biggest reason I tin come with is it'southward likewise expensive. Have for example my vacation last twelvemonth. I went to Costa Rica for an extended vacation and, In the end, my expenses for round-trip airfare, the resort, food, and other living expenses totaled around $3,000. I was lucky that I could afford it at the time. As well, I'd say that a prolonged getaway may go boring for some people. I heard some of my friends say that they get bored while on holiday.
  • Why do some people like going to big cities on holiday/holiday?
    • As for me, I'd rather get on a retreat to an isolated identify somewhere off the beaten path such as a mount gild overlooking a crystal clear lake and a scenic view of light-green mountains. As for others, they need the hustle and hurry of the city because it offers a glamorous nightlife filled with bright lights and lots of people. I practise have to agree that going to the metropolis is ok once in awhile because I tin can go sightseeing to many historical places.

Sample C

Part 2 Questions

  • Draw a vacation/holiday you desire to get on in the future. You should say:
    • where you want to go
    • when y'all desire to get
    • who you want to become with
    • and explicate why you lot want to keep this vacation/holiday

Wow, at that place are so many places I want to travel to before I die. Correct at present at the summit of my listing is Republic of iceland. I know, it's similar arctic common cold there, just I heard people say it's an awesome destination for its rugged snow capped mountains and flickering starry night skies.

Without a doubt, I want to keep vacation at that place for at least 2 weeks with some of my adventurous friends who share the love of the outdoors every bit me. Really, I don't call back 2 weeks is plenty, although staying longer would be also expensive for me. I heard from other people who traveled there that it'southward not a cheap place to visit.

While we are there I think we volition take some guided tours to the countryside to come across the picturesque landscapes and maybe even some of the wildlife. I don't think it'south wise to go traveling to the frozen tundra without an expert local guide.

When we are in the majuscule city of Reykjavík, we will take some cocky-guided tours to see some of the historical buildings and eat at some of the local restaurants to sample some of the traditional cuisines.

I don't have the entire trip planned still, especially what we volition run into and do. It's all in my imagination based on what other people told me most their vacation there, looking at photos on the internet, and reading about it on Tripadvisor.

I think subsequently my Aunt and Uncle told me most their vacation in Iceland, I have this itch to go, especially to see the eye-catching Northern Lights. I'grand sure I can conduct the frigid climate. I will stay warm in the hotel by the fireside and sip hot chocolate or java all twenty-four hour period. I can't await to go!


Office 3 Questions

  • Why do some people prefer to travel within their own country and non away?
    • I suspect that they fear what they will run across in another country, or maybe they don't have enough coin to travel. I'll say for sure the erstwhile. I guess they are insecure when it comes to other cultures and people non similar them. Whatever the reason, they are missing out on a world filled with adventurous places to see and wonderful people to meet. I hope 1 mean solar day they can set off and encounter another state to run across what they are missing.
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of booking vacations/holidays online?
    • Hmmm, I'm not actually certain most this question? I need a little time to gather my thoughts…..Well, being that there are many travel apps available, I'd say that's one benefit. As a consequence, more and more than travelers book their vacations online. I too, volume my travel using the internet and I wouldn't do it whatever other mode because I control and manage my decisions. So, if I choice an atrocious hotel, I accept only me to blame. Alternatively, I believe some vacationers like the personal touch travel agents provide them. Too, they don't have to stress out making the arrangements.
  • Do yous remember people are prepared for emergencies when they become on vacation/holiday?
    • I for one don't recollect I'm fix if an accident would occur while vacationing. I retrieve most people don't even think about it themselves when they are out of town. I would say though, everybody should have a program in example an unfortunate event would occur. Things similar travel insurance, emergency contacts and numbers, and maybe even life insurance should exist included in the plan.

Wrap-up

Go over whatsoever new expressions or vocabulary that you learned today.

cambly-practice-button2